May 27, 2011

Nothing New Under the Sun

As I write this, it is raining cats and dogs.  In fact, it's been raining like this for the past 10 hours and there's no sign of it letting up. We've been watching all days as little rivers and lakes have grown larger in our yard and in the freshly planted fields surrounding our place.

I managed to sneak out this morning in the drizzle and get a few more annuals in their homes and transplant only a few of the amazing hostas my mother-in-law brought by yesterday.  The kids played in the garage to stay dry while I got very muddy and very wet.

Yesterday we were able to be a bit more productive in the veggie garden. The kids helped me work the ground and add sand to the area where they also helped me plant 2 rows of carrots. Then they took turns helping me get a few tomatoes in the ground. Jack-Hammer wanted to plant a packet of California Poppy seed, so we also got those in the flower bed as well. The Little Girl dug holes and planted the last pack of Allysum from Lou's with my help.  I wish we had gotten more done, but we were taking things slow in order to just enjoy the time planting in the sun.

And that's it.

No pretty pictures.

No grandiose gardening stories (other than oooo-ing and ahh-ing over the radishes and onions that are up since being planted last week).

Just a few more rows planted....

....and lots and lots of rain.

Nothing new under the sun.

And linking up over HERE where we are thinking about being purposeful and deliberate about gettin' our kids in the garden. And this year it's gonna take a lot of determination and siezing the moments to get in the garden at all.

9 comments:

Kirsten said...

so frustrating when there are things to be done and the weather won't cooperate! that was us last week. i'm amazed at what you DID get accoomplished - i would have thrown up my hands and waited till the sun came out. hope you get some more accommodating weather soon!

Kirsten said...

p.s. i changed a couple settings on my blog today - hopefully they will make it easier to comment? you aren't the only one - my mom said she has been having a hard time, too. :(

Jess said...

And so it continues at our place too... I am SO thankful for my commitment to this KinderGARDENS linkup, it's my only motivation to get the kids (and my camera) out to the swamp lately. Blech.

Would it be too much to hope and pray for a gorgeous long autumn again?

Michele said...

Well that sounded like a productive time gardening despite the rain. Sometimes just stealing a few minutes here and there make the difference. Looking forward to seeing pictures of everything growing from all this rain! Michele

The author said...

I hope it dries out soon! Sounds like you've made the most of the breaks so far.

Shayne said...

You're exactly right---sometimes you just need to go out between the showers to get anything done in the garden. You get points for perseverance. :)

inadvertent farmer said...

Just think if we dash to the garden between showers and then back into the house and repeat this process enough time we will lose a few pounds at least just avoiding the rain!

I'm so sorry about all the rain, we have it too and frankly I'm about at the end of my patience...I don't care if we are the 'evergreen state' it shouldn't be because of all the moss!!! Kim

Kindra said...

Rain seems to be a problem for a lot of us...we had so much rain here yesterday our basement flooded! At least our garden hasn't washed away!

Lisa said...

The rain has been just relentless this spring. But, sounds like you're making progress in spite of it. The weather is bound to get better for June, right? :-)