September 9, 2011

The Thing I Need to Say {My Deep Seated Desire}

I'm really not even sure how to start this post. I've got 3 or 4 other posts I'm currently working on (always lots of irons in the fire around here), and I would really rather just finish one of them. But this week's You Capture theme over at I Should Be Folding Laundry is "Back to School," and it gave me the motivation I needed for this post, this post that has things I need to say here.

Most people who know me know that I was homeschooled. A fewer number of people know that my husband was also homeschooled. Only people very close to me know that I've always wanted to homeschool my children. Even fewer people than that know that my husband and I haven't always agreed on this, even though we do now. And lastly, a few people know that we are currently ending our first week of homeschooling, the first week of Jack and Ava's first year of preschool.

And that is what I need to say. We are homeschooling.

There's a part of me that wants to blurt out in an effort to buffer this decision, "We're just trying this out to see how it goes." But I know me, I know our family, and I know we're in this for the long haul, Lord willing. Unless something drastic happens, we fully intend on staying on the homeschooling path.  And I say this because I've come to believe that rarely do we have deep seated desires that, unless contradictory to God's Word, are not placed in our hearts by God.


{blueberry muffins for breakfast on our first day of school}

Our choice to homeschool is not about being better or about being more righteous or even about being different, because homeschooling is not about any of those things. And believe me, I typically enjoy being different. But for some reason, being different in this way is oddly difficult for me, even though I grew up with this kind of different. No, our choice to homeschool is about this deep seated desire which I believe has become a calling on me, my husband, and our family. And when I lose focus and begin to obsess about missing the rather large sub-culture that is "normal" schooling, I just remember this deep seated desire and know that the only regrets I will have will be if I ignore this desire/calling.

The kids are only 3 1/2, and we're taking things slow. One of my brunettes laughed outloud at me (in a loving friend kind of way) when I said we were "casually starting homeschooling" this year. She was right to laugh. We don't do things casually around here, even if we try. But what I mean is I am keeping my expectations of myself low and realistic. It has become my mantra for everything: High Standards, Low Expectations.


{A list of preschool goals, academic, domestic, and spiritual - this is me keeping it simple}

And I'll just leave you with that. I could address my take on the two prevalent arguments against homeschooling, and someday I will. But not today. Because today is about saying this:

We are homeschooling. Telling the world here via my blog is easy. Telling the lady who cuts my hair when she asks where my kids are going to preschool is not easy. Telling the lady at the hardware store when she states that "soon your kids will be in school and you'll get a break" while she unknowing mixes paint for our "school room" is not easy.

But that's okay because way down deep, I've got that deep seated desire.

And this post is also about showing you pictures from our first day.



{enjoying an after school snack of freshly baked cookies on our first day}


And of course, today is about linking up.


Photobucket
Homeschooling is valid. So is public school, private school, and charter school. You can check out more back to school HERE.


9 comments:

Kelly said...

I am so proud of your post! I know this isYOUR hard transition right now and you have pulled it off! Your organization skills and your amazing...Amazing...drive for things u are passionate about will get u and your kids very far! I know this decision wasn't and still isn't easy...but I am so proud of you! Way to know your desires and follow them!

Also, I laughed because I know better. Your opinion of lightly and my opinion of lightly are not the same! You take hold and take charge at everything u do and give it 100%, and I so admire you for that! I could make a list but will leave it at that.

Will be praying for your exciting adventure!

Jess said...

I wondered if this wasn't also a part of the massive change your family has been going through. I truly admire your decision to follow through with your conviction on this. I've always felt that homeschooling wasn't the right choice for our family personally, mostly because of my own lack of patience and inability to stay on task or maintain schedules, and everything else that it sounds like you excel at... so yes I might say I'm slightly jealous. This is so awesome Cassie! Run with it!

I'd planned to link up with You Capture this week too, mine will be the yin to your yang. ;)

Amanda said...

I am not sure which one of us brunettes was laughing at you but we both know that you do not do anything half-ways.

I am so proud of you for your conviction and also putting your children first. It is often a difficult thing to do.

Kat said...

I think homeschooling is becoming more and more popular these days, especially with all the craziness going on with public schools and budgets and on and on. Plus, with technology as it is, there are so many more resources available now.
I think it is important for every family to follow what is right for them.
Good luck with the homeschooling. I bet you'll do amazingly well!


And thanks for stopping by my place. :)

Gina Kleinworth said...

So happy you found me & we are connected now. We went through that feeling. Where our family thought it was a phase- our friends would ask us when we were going to come to our senses & send them to school & the world who gives us the standard "I think homeschooling is okay- I just worry about their social skills". I have to look at them & say- "you're talking to me in a public place- my kids are not shy- they are polite, and they are obviously socialized because we are out in public being judged by you". Then I remind them of the "social skills" they learn in school- like teen sex, cursing, drugs, skipping class, fights, bullying, peer pressure. Those are the things that stand out in my memories of my public school education.

I think it's great that both you & your husband were homeschooled. I have never met adults who were homeschooled- but as it becomes more accepted I am hoping I meet more & more.

You know- I actually had a public school teacher call me out in front of my kids & a room full of other moms & tell me that I better be using an accredited curriculum because then kids will never get into college without it. Maybe you can give me some insight on that- being that you went through it yourself. Everything I have found in my research says that they will just have to take the GED tests & then go to community college & advance from there. I would hate to have to bring some person from the school district into my home to dictate what we do after having 9 years of doing it our way.

Sorry for the book- It's just refreshing to find other homeschoolers going through the same things.

Camille said...

Beautiful post Cassie! You wrote it in such a lovely way. Thank you for sharing your heart. :)

And, yes...telling the hairdresser, and store clerk and the people when you are out with your children during school hours that you homeschool has it challenges, but its joys as well. We are thankful that we are able to do this! (It's year six for us). And our oldest is in 11th grade this year...how times flies! You will NEVER regret it!!!

Blessings to you!
Camille

Unknown said...

I admire you for doing what you feel is best for your family. Good luck! And your muffins look delicious!

Unknown said...

You are so right it is a calling! It is one that I was called to 9 years ago! We are currently starting our 10th year of homeschooling and I have never "fully" regretted it. (LOL!) Only the moments when things are stressful and I day dream for a millisecond what it would be like to put them on that big yellow bus. Then reality slaps me in the face and realize that this homeschooling thing is God's blessing to me and my kids and I should NEVER take that for granted!

Have a wonderful 1st year!

Lisa said...

I love that your organized list of plans and goals is you being laid-back. :) It sounds like you guys have made the right choice for your family, and I look forward to reading more about your school adventures!