December 13, 2010

Impossible

It's cold. Highs are in the single digits. The snow in our yard is slowly growing deeper, and everything appears barren.



It almost seems impossible that just a few short months ago there was green grass beneath bare feet and lush leaves overhead providing shade.  Only a few months ago, gardening consumed much of time and I was eager for a winter break, but now I already miss my garden.

It also seems impossible to me that in a week the days will start slowly growing longer. Was the sun really up 'til past 9:00 at night in the summer? Impossible.

But most of all, it seems impossible to me that in every seemingly dead branch and in my frozen mulched blueberry cages and beneath the snow.......there is life. In fact, there are already tiny little buds on the trees. How can anything endure such cold temperatures and harsh winds and still produce life?

The Creator of all things always preserves life.  When His first 2 created humans sinned against Him, He could have destroyed them and started over, but He didn't. He preserved life.

When demons began to infiltrate the world in horrible ways, and when He wiped the world clean with the flood, He could have given up on us all, but He didn't. Through Noah, He preserved life.

No season, no sin, no harsh reality.....not even death....can stop life.

Through Jesus we have forgiveness from all sins. Despite harsh reality, we have the hope of a heavenly eternity. Through cold and barren seasons, God preserves life.....our life, our soul, our hope. Even if our life, our hope, is encapsulated in a tiny, hard bud comparatively so small against the winds and blizzards, one day God will breathe the warm breath that causes the little bud to open.

It's cold, but inside our home it's warm and there's life.....and nothing is impossible.


Staying inside today and listing my thanks with the group over at A Holy Experience.

Thank you God for:

#71. feeling better today

#72. the worst of the illness over the weekend when the husband was home

#73. a husband joyfully helping and cooking and cleaning when I felt stuck to the couch

#74. bright sun streaming through the windows

#75. a little girl already adapted to her cast - 5 weeks to go!

#76. cheery Christmas lights

#77. that there's always enough

#78. and that there's usually an abundance

#79. books to read while seemingly pinned to the couch

#80. finding joy and cooking and baking

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I too miss my garden. I miss dirt. I hope your feeling okay, did not know that you were sick:(

Jess said...

How did you only get one comment on this post!?

I love the light in your first photo. That golden light really sparkles on the snow.

It really does feel like only a moment ago I was running out to my garden for our supper veggies... but I know it couldn't have been, because all the white out our windows doesn't stop me in my tracks anymore.