May 26, 2011

Girlhood

We get home from church, and she changes out of church clothes into her favorite play clothes: a hand-me-down dress and some leggings.  She picks out the clothes and puts them on by herself, complete with the tag in front.



She heads out back to pick dandelions....

singing to herself the whole way.

Occasionally she spins just to make her dress twirl, because most of her hand-me-down play dresses twirl better than her church dresses. Or, as she would say, "Mommy! This dress spins!"


It's just little-girlhood at it's best; finding beauty in the weeds, care-freely singing the day away, and finding magic in hand-me-downs (that within a few hours were covered in blood, mud, and grape juice popsicle stains).


I soak it in with her, cherishing this innocence, tearfully remembering when the harsh realities of this world came crashing down on my girlhood dreams, and vowing not to tell her that life is rarely what we dream it will be.......

only because sometimes...every now and then...it's better.

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Beautiful. Beautiful. Beautiful. What a precious time of life. Unscarred, unscathed, untouched. If only we could freeze life like that for them forever. She is such a sweet little girl.

Kelly said...

Amazing pics Cassie!! These are so perfect!! Ava makes for the perfect sweet, little, innocent model. The day your kids find out that life isn't fair or right sometimes, I imagine both your kids being raised to have the faith and strength to get through this crazy life we live. They both have what it takes to enjoy and overcome hard times! They are amazing kiddos! Don't you want to keep them home forever??

Amanda said...

I don't know how I missed this post of my girl Ava! She is so beautiful. I agree with Kelly, these are amazing pics. It is crazy how boys and girls are SO different!

She and I are going to do some major damage in the retail world someday:)

Unknown said...

What a beautiful post! And your pictures are gorgeous!