June 21, 2011

June is the New May

The little boy wanted to go outside and play in the rain.

The little girl wanted to stay inside.

So I made sure the girl was settled with crayons and markers and coloring books and went outside with the boy. I thought it would be a great excuse to (1) use his rain pants received as a birthday present again and (2) have some time with just him.

No one can exasperate me like my little Jack-Hammer can, and he's been pushing all the buttons and testing all the limits lately. I knew he needed his "love cup" filled in order to better understand and respond to the endless stream of corrections and discipline I've been sending his way. I thought this might give me the chance to do just that, and what better way to sow love into a little one than to sow into a garden together.....in the rain.

I'm not gonna say I didn't get frustrated, and I'm not gonna say I didn't express some of that frustration, but the two of us still had a good time.

He wanted to plant flowers. So we dug out some sunflower and nasturtium seeds and got in the mud.





His favorite part was getting sticks out of the grove to mark the rows.



My favorite part was when it started to rain again, and he stood over the camera slung across my back to keep it dry while I finished planting the last of the seed.  "I'll keep it safe Momma."

The little girl decided to join us about the time we were headed back to the house. And she was very excited about her outfit...



...Jack's crocs, a shower curtain ring bracelet, a hand-me-down Case bucket hat, a flower lei around her head, and her sunglasses.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In other gardening news, the kids helped me weed and rock pick (again) the whole garden before today's promised inch or more of rain. It looks great out there!  We also (finally) finished planting the 110 day Indian Corn and got the 110 day pumpkins in the ground.

One hundred ten days is a long time, but I'm not worried because someone (and you know who you are) keeps telling me that we are going to have another long and gorgeous fall like last year.

So in light of that and with the weather we've been having, I've decided June is the new May.


Linking up to KinderGARDENS.



5 comments:

Holly said...

I love your girl's fashion sense! She would fit right in on our "farmstead." Here's hoping that we do have a long and gorgeous growing season! I can't wait to see my "crops," but I'm trying hard not to wish away these beautiful, fun 110 days of summer : )

Jess said...

I'm giggling.

;)

Kirsten said...

I'm giggling too, but only because I've been watching/reading the two of you commiserate with each other over the past few weeks. :)

love your little guy studying the seed packet so intently...and of course the sweet ensemble that your daughter put together. perfect gardening attire!

Kelly said...

That is great to spend quality time with jack! He adores u more than he shows, typical guy!

I love that smile on ava's face...she is so proud of her outfit!

I hope your tomato plants look better than mine!

Kindra said...

Luckily you have a little one to keep the camera safe and love your little girls outfit!