July 5, 2011

A Tack and a Piece of Tape

I didn't think I would be able to do a KinderGardens post this week since we actually had an assignment: to let our kids take pictures in the garden.

But then I remembered that I let my son, my 3 1/2 year-old Jack-Hammer, take pictures with my camera when we went strawberry pickin' last week. It proved to be another one of those fateful decisions that I would later regret. Jack-Jack has a need to figure out how things work, and he sorta broke the poor camera. Not intentionally; he was doing great snapping photos of everything and it was keeping him from hanging on me and whining. I really should have turned and looked when he said "Uh-oh," but do you have any idea how many times in a day I hear that phrase? My mommy brain completely filters it out at this point.


I was able to jimmy-rig my camera with a tack and a piece of tape so that I would have something to take pictures with over the 4th of July weekend. I also bought 4 rolls of film for my old 35 mm Pentax. But eeeeek! That stuff is spendy, and I would have had to limit myself to only 96 pictures.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My garden is looking better, not great, not anything like it was last year at this time, but better. I won't even list all the ways my garden is deficient this year compared to last because it doesn't really matter. Or at least that's what I tell myself. Because the kids don't know that last year we picked and froze green beans this week. They don't remember that the corn was over their heads and that my tomato plants were waist high on me.  They just know that picking radishes and  buckets of garden leaf lettuce and spinach this year is fun.


And now we all know that Jack-Hammer doesn't like picking strawberries even though the little girl was quite a trooper at it.  We also know that Jack likes to take pictures, and that it's probably not best to let him use your expensive camera.


{Photos by Jack-Jack}








Linking up to KinderGardens Week 9

5 comments:

Jess said...

I squealed when you first said your poor camera was broken. I should probably... maybe... apologize for that. I can be such an enabler. ;)

I love this post. And I love that you're creative enough to make a tack and a piece of tape get you through until... I bet that kid has a blast breaking your camera.

(sorry)

And I adore Jack-Jack's motion blur picture. Love it!

Jess said...

"had a blast" not "has"



Upgrade. Upgrade. UPGRADE!!!

Kirsten said...

OH NO! So sorry about your poor baby (the camera baby, not the human baby). I like Jess' take on things - it's an opportunity to get a better camera! :)

I also LOVE the motion blur picture. I really enjoyed the others, too, but that one's my favorite.

Amanda said...

I love this post. I often will turn my camera over to the boys and I am always a little surprised with what they come up with. I actually have photo albums with pics that Noah took when he was Jack's age! It is amazing to look back and see them.

Looks like Jack has the "rule of thirds" down :)

Alissa said...

I love his dirty little crocs making an appearance in a few of the photos! He is such a cutie!