July 21, 2011

Visions of Peas

I have this vision.


I am sitting on a swing on the deck. The kids are on either side of me, and the dog is laying at my feet.


The summer evening air is warm and still, and there are no bugs. We quietly talk about our day and sing a few silly songs. There are lots of smiles and laughs and love.


We're shelling peas together. Every now and then we steal a few peas to munch on, but the bowl of shelled peas fills more quickly than the bowl of empty pods


There are enough peas for us to eat fresh with supper for many nights and enough to freeze for the winter. Every time we eat them, we smile and think of the wonderful time we had shelling them all together, and we talk about how the weeds never seem to grow in our garden.

*chuckle*

I have this reality.

I throw some salmon on the grill and run out to the garden in my husband's sandles to quick pull a few pods off the vine. The intense heat of the past week makes me concerned that my cooler-temps loving peas will soon shrivel. I steal a few seconds to pull the weeds that seem to grow overnight and repeatedly scold the dog for romping through the carrotts and onion.

I shell the peas hurriedly in the kitchen while the brown rice cooks. The pitifully small amount of peas steams quickly while I throw everything on the table and call everyone to supper.

I carefully dish out a golf-ball sized amount of peas onto four plates and make up fanciful tales in order for the kids to eat them, pretending the peas are little baby Nemos and that we have to put them into our mouths to save them from the big scary shark . (I realize it makes no sense, but it works.)

Reality is rarely what it should be.

Visions are rarely reality.

But that's okay.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We've been eating lots and lots of salads around here. The garden lettuce is tough to keep with up! We've got buckets of it in the refrigerator and it seems to grow back almost as soon as I mow it down with my scissors. Thankfully everyone in the house loves a lettuce salad!


I'm always looking for new things to try with these salads, and the latest concoction was roasted garbonzo beans (aka chick peas).
Drain, rinse, and pat dry one can of garbonzo beans.
Spread on a cookie sheet.
Drizzle with olive oil and season as desired (this particular recipe called for cumin and coriander. I used cumin and a little bit of cayenne. If I try it again, I will likely use garlic salt or powder and paprika).
Roast in a 450 degree oven for 20 min, stirring once.
Sprinkle on salad.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We enjoyed a decent amount of freshly picked green beans at supper the other night. Despite a heat index of 115 degrees, my children loved picking them and were thrilled to gobble them up.

Green beans out of the garden are one of our all time favorites around here. I still have a few bags of beans  in the freezer from last year, which is okay since I don't think our green bean harvest will be quite as plentiful this year.


And I am loving the fence that my husband and his brother put up around my typically-eaten-by-critters plants. It's made with hog-paneling that my in-laws let me reclaim, and it also serves as a support for the peas.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Everything had a slow start around here with a dreary May and a cool June. But a hot July has given us hope for a bountiful harvest. Everything is in bloom and putting on fruit. And most of the garden appreciated the 5 days of 90+ temps with the 90%+ humidity that was thankfully buffered by 4 inches of rain the previous week.
{marigolds from my annual trip to Lu's greenhouse with the brunettes that are finally doing something}

{zucchini blooms. What to do with the 10+ bags of frozen shredded zucchini still in the freezer?)

{I had 3 blueberries amongst my 3 blueberry plants. Now, I only have 2 blueberries. But they are ripening!}


And guess what!? I am actually doing a KinderGardens post this week! And I am actually writing it long before the Mr. Linky closes. And I am linking up right HERE.

20 comments:

Jess said...

Not only do you have two blueberries... you have a new camera. Spill the beans lady. What lens?

Kirsten said...

love this post!

many of my visions don't become much of a reality, either. :) oh well. many times the reality is good, too.

glad the heat did you and your garden some good! we've got the heat now, but without the rain buffer - our plants are a little wilted and shriveled. :(

glad you have a family of green bean eaters. we tolerate them because we know they're good for us, but i think we're going to have a bumper crop this year and "tolerate" isn't going to cut it. not sure what we're going to do with them all!

Kirsten said...

oh! just saw jess' comment. i want to know, too!! :)

Amanda said...

I love the pics! What a difference the right lense makes (like I know what I am talking about.)

I do not know what your talking about---your garden looks amazing!

What are you going to do with your beets?

Jess said...

Ummm... Amanda. Cassie has the talent and knowledge to rock a piece-o-junk kit lens to the moon and back. You saw what she did with that old point and shoot.


(And yes, I'm stalking this post)

I'm Cassie... said...

Okay.....things are getting heated. ; )

I am the proud and protective new owner of a Canon T2i with a 50 mm f/1.8 lens.

I am in love with f/1.8.....it certainly takes a lot less time & effort to get the look I want, but I'm struggling to get a nice sharp focus on my focal point with that wide of aperture.

Kelly said...

Cassie...just talk to the pro. Me, that is. I will help you with all your camera needs!! :)

Kelly said...

Also, love your pics! We all know you rock any camera but arn't you loving your new Rebel! I envy how beautiful and new your camera looked today! Your garden looks amazing as well! Love the fence. I might have to get some of that for next year. I really like reading about you and the kids eating your garden! Makes me want to come join you!

Jess said...

I have a problem with not thinking before I type, and sounding like a real snot. Amanda, I'm sorry, I think I misunderstood your use of the word "lens". I knew what camera body Cassie had but didn't know what lens it was wearing.

Melissa said...

Lovely pictures.

Elizabeth said...

Great post! Your garden looks beautiful. Our new home has a garden already started in the back yard and I am so excited about that! Maybe we can link up along with you guys next year too! You will just have to teach me a lot first!

The author said...

I've have grand visions too, like a salad that we grew totally ourselves and then I wake up and I rabbit ate the lettuce. Oh well, that's gardening and I'll replant. Maybe in the fall... Your garden looks lovely, sure wish I had 10+ bags of zucchini already!

Kirsten said...

I've heard so many good things about the 50mm 1.8. I have a Nikon 35mm 1.8 that I love...it's almost always on my camera. Have fun and enjoy!!

Kirsten said...

p.s. thanks for the tips on the green beans. :)

Unknown said...

Beautiful garden! Love all the photos of it and my garden reality is much like yours! :)

Nancy said...

Thank you for the recipe.

Mama Bean said...

Too much lettuce is a good thing! I like your hog fence barrier, I think I'll look into finding some of that, thanks :)

Shayne said...

Your blond beauties in the garden are just too cute. :)

Love your vision. You summed it up perfectly.

Holly said...

I'm kind of glad that vision isn't reality...I was feeling a little bad that my reality wasn't measuring up : ) But I liked the post and the pictures...your sweet kiddos are so cute and your garden looks amazing!

Kara said...

Hey there!

I'm adding you to my blog list today... I love your pix, and I hope you don't mind my following along. :)