October 11, 2010

For the Record - A Collision of Seasons

According to my sources, last year around this time it was snowing.

This year? I've been outside in shorts and a tank tops, munching apples that escaped the applesauce brigade, and brushing away super-annoying teeny tiny little black bugs that must be all jaws and teeth for as hard as they bite.

On Saturday, my husband mowed for, what I am sincerely hoping, is one of the last times for the year. At least he only mowed the new grass and I don't have to be out there pushing the walk behind around the trees and in the fence. We've been mowing since April....every weekend since April, and a little break would be nice.

We haven't had a hard freeze yet, a couple of light frosts, but all my flowers are still going strong and my tomatoes and green peppers are putting on new blooms. It find it rather hilarious; those plants must be so confused.

There's quite a conflict of interests at the back door...


...with the Impatiens' summery blooms vying for attention while the noise of the crunchy leaves demands that we admit it is fall.

And the front entry is holding its own contest of seasons,


while more Impatiens hold their own at the gate of the fence.



Thinking back, we've had truly great weather for the past 8 months - outside of one rainy August day and a disappointing girls' trip to Detroit Lakes. (We should have saved that trip for October!)

So for the record, we have had nearly a week of October days with highs around and above 75. While I was busy making applesauce with a friend last Friday, my mom and 10 year brother went swimming at the beach! We harvested pumpkins and watermelon out of the garden in the same day, biked to town for ice cream cones and hiked in the leaves in the same week.

It's a collision of seasons. I think I'll take it.

5 comments:

Kelly said...

LOL! this is so creative! the pics are great as always. I would take this year again for next year! Funny that your brother went swimming in October!

Jess said...

I has been an unbelievably gorgeous autumn. Our neighbors said they cannot remember EVER beginning to harvest feed corn before a killing frost.

Amanda said...

Love this story, I laughed out loud. We have had an amazing fall...we are very blessed.

Anonymous said...

Amazing and beautiful photos! God really does bless you with the ability to see and capture things on film ( or digitally rather!) Enjoy the second coming of summer while it lasts.

Camille said...

What a lovely post. I enjoy the way you write. :) Your photos are very pretty. I had to smile at the conflicting seasons on your front steps...those crunchy leaves alongside the flowers still in bloom. But oh, don't you much prefer to have the weather you are having over snow? Regardless of the need for a break from mowing? :)

Blessings to you!
Camille