March 14, 2011

Just Another Day

I was bent over the bathroom floor wiping up a "potty incident" that the little girl had. She was just too excited from fighting dragons to make it to the bathroom in time.

As I sop up the mess and comfort myself with the knowledge that urine is basically sterile when it's fresh, I hear a loud rumbling go by the door. I glance up, throwing damp hair -that I've been meaning to dry and comb- over my shoulder. Jack-Hammer is running through the house at Mach 3 dragging a laundry basket -that I had just put away- with a small wooden wagon in it. On top of that he's doing his typical warrior cry at the top of his lungs.

The Hammer does a U-turn in the living room and runs by me again, a streak of blond hair and boyishness. I clothes-pin the girl's blanket cape back around her shoulders as she re-arms herself with dragon fighting equipment - a paper towel tube and a toy cordless drill.

I sneak into the laundry room to fold a few more articles of clothing while the two knights clamor into the laundry basket together. They admire their "boat" for awhile, but after a few seconds The Hammer apparently mentally connects this "boat" with water skiing. He grabs his frayed rope (some crafty/sewing decorative rope thing he claimed) and manages to find me

"Wanna ski, Momma?" he inquires while I quickly match a few more socks, mentally decide which vegetable to serve tonight, calculate how much longer I can safely put off making supper, and wonder how in the world his face got so dirty.

"Momma's workin' right now, baby. Maybe later?"

"No you can ski now!" he sweetly, yet urgently persists.

My mind races as I survey the stack of seed catalogs laying on the counter (I was going to place my order today), wonder why putting away the washed blankets is such an insurmountable task, glance up at my freezer inventory to see what to supplement the not-enough asparagus with, and ponder why the husband isn't home yet.

"Okay. I'll ski." I grab a pile of socks, boxers, and underwear as he hands me my end of the rope. "Ski me to my bedroom!.....uh....Hit it!"

He runs as fast as he can "dragging" me with his "rope" and successfully deposits me in my bedroom. I hurriedly put away the laundry and request to be skiied back to the laundry room.

We keep up this game, getting a surprising amount of laundry put away and even a few jugs filled with distilled water from the basement.

The little girl has found something to color during all this but now decides it's time to head upstairs. They two blondies march up to their rooms discussing something and I seize the moment to dry my hair. I revel in the "silence" and heat of the hair dryer and pretend I can't make out the indignant cries of the little girl.


It's just another day, just another wash cycle, just another "potty incident".......

that despite the occasional "inconvenience"

and exhaustion

and daily dying to my own wants

......I wouldn't trade for anything.


Counting towards 1000 again today with the group of almost 250+ over HERE.

#186. playing outside 2 days in a row
#187. silly childhood adventures
#188. remembering my childhood
#189. understanding where my mom was coming from
#190. planning gardens with friends
#191. slowly, slowly, slowly learning more about cameras
#192. one small section of the house almost clean before I head to bed
#193. coughs, fevers, and congestion are gone
#194. challenging parenting books to read
#195. that God gives wisdom to those who ask for it (James 1:something - I can't remember right now)
#196. that His power is perfected in weakness (1 or 2 Corinthians something - sorry, just typing this quickly so I can sleep)
#197. the little girl voice praying for breakfast and lunch
#198. Jack telling Ava "You pretty."
#199. Ava saying, "I'm going to Africa on my snowmobile."
#200. this day, today, these moments......that I shouldn't hurry through

5 comments:

Lisa said...

What a lovely post Cassie. I'm always amazed at how good you are at finding the beauty and blessing in daily life, when I'm sure some people would just see them as frustrations. Your posts are a blessing themselves, and you have such a great perspective.

Too bad there aren't some pictures of the dragon fighting, but sounds like your hands were full during this epic battle!

Amanda said...

Love this post! You sum up what most moms are thinking. Balancing children's wants and needs (and our husbands) with our own sometimes seems impossible. But, you do it with grace.

Kalee said...

Love it, Cassie! Great post!

Craig said...

I’m here from Ann’s – just took a while to get here :)

Never until I began blogging in this community did I come to realize what amazing human beings moms are – I still stand in awe that all of this – all the astounding stuff you do for your family is described as “just another day, just another wash cycle, just another "potty incident".

And because I know it to be true – and I’ve quoted the Bible – many – MANY times just like this - my favorite from your list this week is: #196. that His power is perfected in weakness (1 or 2 Corinthians something - sorry, just typing this quickly so I can sleep)

Thank you for this, and God Bless and Keep you and all of yours.

Jess said...

It does sound like "just another day" around here too. Except that you're a clever enough Mama to figure out a way to play with your kiddos while you're getting a little work done.

This feels like another of those house-is-dark-and-quiet-while-I-type posts. Love them!