March 7, 2011

These Things

I'm seeking to align myself with Truth today.

Post-vacation blues and recovering from a nasty virus are threatening to pull me into a dark, unproductive mood today.

Those of you who read my previous post are likely wondering, "Really?!?! You're still feeling down after returning from such a short vacation?" And I'm wondering the same thing. How can post-vacation blues last longer than the actual vacation?

And I dunno. Having the husband come home from work earlier than expected on a Kerkhoven Friday and then having him around all weekend perked me up. But waking to the sound of the tractor blowing more snow this morning and knowing that today is the day to get back into the swing of things felt like more than I could stomach.

Today's laundry day.

Library books are due.

I need to menu plan for the week and likely grocery shop, although I may have enough in the house to postpone the shopping which always consumes so much time.

The house needs some serious tidying and cleaning after 4 days of attempted unpacking and being sick.

It's time to get back on the boat with teaching obedience and respect. The calls from the tots are reaching a new decibel and degree of whine.

I'm behind on my Bible Study, which hopefully meets tomorrow after so many snow days and me missing the past 2 make-up days.

I haven't worked-out in a week and half. I had just started seeing results before we left on vacation. I had been feeling the results for weeks, but actually seeing results was great.....and then we left on vacation on I got sick......and I don't feel my lungs can support an extended period of increased heart rate today. But some Pilates would be a good way to ease back into the workout routine and reduce tension.

The forecast is sickening. More snow?!?!?! Enough said.

So I could drown myself in a slough of negativity.......or I could empty myself before God and say, "Here is my day. Here is my to-do list. Here are my hands. Fill me up with You."

And the little girl notices pink highlighting on a page of the Bible laying in my lap. "What's that Mommy?"

So I read it out loud and it says:

Whatever things are true
Whatever things are noble
Whatever things are just
Whatever things are pure
Whatever things are lovely
Whatever things are of good report
If there is any virtue and
If there is anything praiseworthy
Meditate on these things.
Phil 4:8

So I know I how I feel. I know what my circumstances are. But I'm going to align my thoughts with other things.

These things:

#166. a great first Tool Expo
#167. a few days break from winter
#168. safe travels
#169. earlier sunrises!
#170. later sunsets!
#171. today's sunshine - I will enjoy it while it is here and not think about the forecast
#172. toddlers wanting lots of cuddles from mom
#173. finding someone to switch with us for Discovery School duty at church so we could quarantine ourselves at home
#174. two nights free at the Shingle Creek Resort
#175. almost completely unpacked...already?!?! That's a personal record.
#176. Nanna & Poppa taking care of a sick Jack-Hammer
#177. Nanna & Poppa watching both kids the full time we were gone
#178. NyQuil
#179. Vicks Vapor Rub
#180. that my feelings and circumstances do not have to control me
#181. that I succumbed to the nasty virus after Expo
#182. the quiet of sick babies taking a much needed nap
#183. enough food in the house to postpone the shopping trip
#184. homemade ice cream cake
#185. 2 quiet hours over the weekend to myself to watch a movie nobody else wanted to watch

5 comments:

Kelly said...

I hate days like that, where you just want to sit in the middle of the floor and do nothing. Something pulls on us and gets us going. Thanks for putting God into the center of everything!! Sometimes I forget that he has a purpose to the smaller things in life that build into a huge pile! We are never alone! I hope you got a few things done today that you wanted and are starting to feel better!!

Amanda said...

I think that this winter is the longest winter that I can remember since the mid-90's. It is really wearing on us all. Don't feel bad my dear, tomorrow is a new day!

Jess said...

It seems wrong to say so, but I am so glad to know I'm not the only one down in the dumps. I'm going to borrow that verse and meditate on it tomorrow (I'm headed to bed soon).

Your #171. I sat in a puddle of sunshine on our living room floor today for nearly half an hour, just feeling the warmth on my face. Amen sister, it was glorious.

Unknown said...

I've been there! I know exactly what you mean! But those verses are a wonderful way of helping our focus aren't they!

Camille said...

Your list is wonderful...in the midst of not *feeling like it* there is thankfulness and that is a lovely thing. I *love* those verses in Philippians...I often refer to them! :)

Many blessings,
Camille