March 13, 2011

Those February Days

It's been awhile since I've posted one of my "month in review" posts. Normally I fight against the flying-away of time, but the early months of the year are an exception. I am always just so glad when those months are over.

The other day I was taking a little time for some much needed photo organization. I shamefully have not backed-up months of photos and my poor hard drive is whimpering at me, "Really!?!? Do you need this many photos?"

As I paged through all the photos, I smiled at all the little things I had forgotten and decided to post some memories.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This post has been sitting as a draft for nearly a week and something I read today gave me the needed oomf to reflect, ponder, and post.

"...I have noticed that Americans are often so busy that they take little, if any, time to reflect on their experiences."  -George Barna Transforming Children Into Spiritual Champions
Part of the reason I take so many pictures is because I want to remember and reflect upon my life. And I have become increasingly aware that it is the day-to-day, the ordinary, the seemingly mondane that is the most important and the most likely to shape who I am and who I become.

And because there appears to be no way of resurrecting any order to this post, I'm just gonna stop rambling now.....


In February, we blissfully enjoyed a week of warm weather.  Hats and mittens were shedded almost as soon as I attempted to velcro them in place.


And we thought it best to enjoy the snow while it "lasted."



(this picture is totally blown out, I know, but there's something about it I love)




But we were sadly mistaken that this was the last of the snow. And because we watch little to no live TV and avoid "the news" even more vehemently, we were completely unaware of the President's Day storm that settled upon us in a furry.

I never cease to be amazed by my husband's tireless snow-removal efforts. He slowly and steadily pushes it all back, in the dark and in the cold, refusing to let the snow gain ground, marking out our spot of order amidst the chaos. It's a picture to me, you know, of who he is and who he's called to be for our family.



So when we finally resigned ourselves to the fact that winter was staying a bit longer than last year and when the weather was too formidable to be outside, we busied ourselves indoors...

making new recipes...


like Zucchini Swirl Bundt Cake, which was a delicious way to use up some of that frozen shredded zucchini...

(that recipe and a million more great savory or sweet zucchini recipes found HERE)

and having countless daily "tea parties" with the most amazing wooden food toy set  in the world.




March is here now.......and tomorrow promises melting temperatures!

2 comments:

Jess said...

I also love that pic with the blown out background. You didn't lose any detail in your subject so who cares. Definitely a keeper!

I think men love any excuse to use their tractors. But I really like your analogy to who he is to your family.

We have that toy food set too! It is one of the best toys.

Amanda said...

Once again a beautiful post filled with wonderful pics! We are all so sick and tired of winter...I just want to go to the lake or the pool.

Jack and Ava are getting so big! It is amazing how quickly they grow up. Thanks for sharing!