October 11, 2011

Hints of Sanity

Today when I sent the kids outside, the dog tormented Jack who tormented Ava who retaliated by yelling at everybody.

Today when I decided an afternoon movie was in order, no one could agree on which movie to watch, and when we finally picked one, it held no ones attention and everybody ended up back outside.

Today, everytime I got the kids occupied with something and finished tidying up from the previous occupation attempt, my hand would barely touch the next thing I wanted to do before someone had a problem or needed me or suffered some sort of indignation that needed reconciling.

Today when I made the executive decision that Jack was going to take a nap, months after I had to cut out their naps, and he actually took a nap, I paid for the hour of quiet during the day with an hour+ of restless Jack-Hammer antics at bedtime.

Today when everyone was finally corralled, showered, and pajama-ed but still bouncing off the walls and not listening and I said, "No more hanky panky!" (really, where did that come from?), I then had to listen to a chorus of 3 1/2 year olds singing and laughing "No more hanky panky!" for the next half hour.

And today when everyone was almost asleep and I was this close to quiet and time to myself, Ava had a hard time falling asleep so I got in bed with her and ....... fell asleep myself.

So in the last few minutes of this day which will likely be over before I actually publish this post, I will search for a hint of sanity....

....and remember that God's grace is the only real sanity...

....and that God's grace is everywhere...

Linking up HERE with all the others sifting out the chaos in search of sanity.

#341. the opportunity to be here with them even on their bad days
#342. the little girl belting out a made up song in the shower
#343. the way the little boy talks - so earnest - I can't describe it - but it melts my heart
#344. two little blondies sitting at the table munching on huge honeycrisp apples
#345. just how much they love each other even though they can fight like there is no tomorrow

5 comments:

Kirsten said...

some days are like that...even in Australia.

Hope there is more sanity in your day today! :)

Elizabeth said...

I love this post. I love how you keep it real. Sharing it all - the great days, and those where you just shake your head and thank the Lord that there is someone bigger than yourself out there guiding you and giving you strength to do it all again tomorrow!

Kelly said...

I always wonder how you do it! But, you are always putting God first and the reason in your EVERY day!! I need to be better at that! Ava sings in the shower? How cute! And Jack's voice is too adorable! The two of them are so lucky to have eachother and an amazing mom to give them an awesome upbringing!!

Unknown said...

Oh Girl...I laughed out loud at this! I know EXACTLY what you are talking about! I remember the days so well when all three of my boys were so ALL consuming! And the days when I thought I was just spinning my wheels. That i was just going to go stark raving mad, throw my head back and laugh like a lunatic. But hey like you said no more hanky panky! And, so I, like you, sucked it up and went with the flow. And you know what now a I sorta miss those days. The days of silliness and whirlwind activity and giggles and snuggles and everything little. Hold on sweet girl these days will be gone before you know it!

Jess said...

Jenn's comment gives me HOPE. The chaos of your days sound an awful lot like mine Cassie.