January 11, 2012

If a Picture is Worth a Thousand Words...

...then I have a lot to say here.

Yesterday my toddlers officially became preschoolers. We had celebrated with family on Sunday, and the day of their birthday was also the day of my morning Bible study where we brought cupcakes and party favors to celebrate with the other kids who are watched by volunteers at the church.

We then spent the afternoon outside. We ended up on the deck after romping around and the kids spent hours just playing and coloring and reading on the deck while I sat in a chair soaking up the sun and planning for the first two Pollyanna rehearsals. It was the second near 60 degree day in a week, and it was a.maz.ing. Just what this pregnant, self-diagnosed borderline seasonal affective disorder mommy needed.

But this part makes me cringe. I didn't take a single picture. Not one of them playing outside. Not one of them reading on the deck in sweatshirts on their birthday in January in Minnesota when it should have been 20 below zero. It never even crossed my mind. And moments are fleeting. I couldn't even attempt to re-create that magic today because we woke up to snow and windchill this morning.

Really what was I thinking? Or not thinking? And can someone please just slap me?

And of course it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things or in the light of eternity. But in the light of my day to day life and in the light of not wanting to let life just slip through my fingers, I'm really mad at myself.

So, math is not my strong suit, but let's say that if I had been thinking clearly, I would have taken at least 20 photos of the fun on the deck on the January birthday. About 10 of them would have eventually made it into albums. Ten pictures of my adorable blondies happily playing oustide in fall clothes in the winter multiplied by 1,000 words per picture means that in order to attempt to make up for my short coming, I need to write 10,000 words about the afternoon.

And those of you who know me well, know that that is completely feasible.

But I'll spare you all and attempt to forgive myself.

4 comments:

Jess said...

Happy Birthday to your twins!

I can feel how frustrated you are about the lack of pictures, but it really is okay. It's better to just live sometimes, than to be stuck behind the lens. But if you really want to be slapped, I know of a couple of brunettes who could do that for you. (just be sure to take pictures of that, because I wanna see it)

Unknown said...

I know how you feel, but I have to agree with Jess. Sometimes with our faces stuck behind the camera we miss just soaking up the moment.

Happy birthday to your two beauties!

Kirsten said...

Happy birthday to your sweeties! I feel like slapping myself when I miss the moment as well, but Jess and Jenn have said it already - sometimes it really is better to just BE and enjoy it without the camera in between you and your littles. Journal about how awesome the day was, stick it in your scrapbook on some pretty paper, pretend that you didn't take pictures on purpose, and you're good to go! :)

Lisa said...

It's okay! I promise. Though I also am a bit bummed with myself that I neglected to take any photos at Thsnksgiving or Christmas this year. And, I should have been taking more photos of the first 1/2 of January's gorgeous weather.
Sorry, that's probably not comforting. I know you'll all have great memories of this 4th birthday, photos or not. :)

Happy 4 years Jack & Ava!