January 10, 2012

Okay

So, is there, like, some sort of protocol for re-entering the blogosphere after an absence of over a month?

Because it feels weird to just jump right back in. In fact, it almost feels intimidating to be typing here again.

I felt guilty for awhile about my silence here, but then I realized that the silence itself speaks volumes about the past month that words or photos simply couldn't.

There's been drama....ummm, both literally and figuratively.

I've taken shockingly few photos, all of them mediocre at best.

I've felt at a loss for words.

I didn't feel myself. I don't want to say I was depressed because many people actually experience depression and I don't want to cheapen what they go through, but I felt..... low.

And I really, really, really don't want to make my blogging comeback with a depressing post, because everything really is okay. Life is a continual mixture of percieved good things and perceived bad things, and I say "perceived" because God is wholly and completely good all of the time, I'm just too earthly minded to always understand His good. And I don't want sympathy.....or even empathy. And is that prideful? If anything, I'll just take the silent solidarity of everyone else in this world who knows that life is not always peachy (even for a peachy person like me)......and even more than that, the silent solidarity of knowing that it's okay to not feel okay.

December felt long. Very, very long. And there's no use chronologizing it. But the moments that stand out are when the "sickness" hit me, one hour into my moms' Bible study Christmas party that I was hosting. I felt physically awful, I knew why, and in my mind, the party was a flop because I was a dud.

Then there was the breast cancer diagnosis my mom received right before Thanksgiving that ended in a mastectomy in the middle of December. I did not want to drive the 2 hours to see her after her surgery. I knew it was selfish, but I didn't want to go and I didn't know why. But I packed enough snacks to get through the drive while still feeling "sick," made a noticeable amount of food stops (even my 11 year old brother noticed) during the day, and perched at the end of her bed after surgery.

Then there was Christmas, which really was great, and a week later, I found myself sitting in an oncology office with my mom. Both she and I were younger than everyone else in the room by decades, and the reason for my selfishness hit me. My reason for feeling "sick," that I had known all along, had been officially announced to everyone over Christmas, and I honestly did not want to sit in an oncology office while I was young and pregnant with 2 preschoolers at home and discuss cancer treatment options for my mom. I didn't want to see her scar. I didn't want to see advertisements for wigs. I didn't want every ounce of her remaining energy to go into the never-ending activities of my pre-adolescent brother and listen to her every attempt to help me be shrowded with his impossibly needy schedule. But I swallowed my selfishness with a root beer and a greasy burger that made me feel both satisfied and guilty at the same time, and I drew pictures on restaurant napkins of the differences between tamoxifen and aromatase inhibitors in an attempt to help her better understand her options.

And that paragraph? That should all be deleted, never to be read again. But I'm not gonna do it. I'm gonna keep it, because half of that I didn't even realize 'til now. I've forgotten how half of my realizations come through pecking away at this filthy keyboard.

And people, again with all the really's. Things really, really, really are okay. Mom doesn't need radiation. All the cancer was removed. She will likely not need chemo. Just an oral pill for the next five years. If anyone has to go down the breast cancer route, this was the way to do it. Praise God.

And yes (I'm starting another paragraph with a conjunction. For shame.), I'm pregnant. It wasn't a surprise. We've adjusted to the idea for the most part and are getting excited. This was something I've wanted for awhile. But sometimes for me, even a good change is a bit scary. And you know what? That's okay, too.

So for all you people out there that need details and have found my past cryptic posts a bit confusing, I'm eleven weeks along and due to deliver this baby right in the midst of green bean canning season. Yes, a summer pregnancy.....and a summer birthday! After a string of 4+ around-Christmas birthdays, I am happy for a birthday that will land smack dab in the middle of my glory days - sweet summertime.

And yes, I will have a garden.

Yes, I will make homemade baby food with stuff from my garden.

Yes, I will attempt to make an effort to try to maybe do some canning this summer.

Yes, I will continue to go to all my mom's appointments.

Yes, I will co-direct and act in a large theatrical production of Pollyanna.

Because it's all okay.

And yes, I'm feeling so.much.better. Physically and mentally.

Yes, I did sprawl out on the deck in shorts in January in Minnesota on a 60 degree day. (No, I did not get a tan).

That is more than okay.

And today is my firstborns' birthday. I couldn't say it better than I do here.

7 comments:

Jess said...

I've missed you. And I'm gonna come visit you this summer.

Kelly said...

I knew this post was coming, so I am in bed, hiding the computer from Matt, as he sleeps...so I could be the first to comment! I might need to read this post a few times because the few times I saw you the past month, I would have never guessed you were feeling so down because you still smiled. Even though, I just KNEW you had to be expecting, you managed to get through it without one complaint to the brunettes! What a month! You are a wonderful daughter for your mom! She should be so proud! By the way, your mom looks fabulous too!
A summer baby! YAY a million times!!!!
And today, 4 years ago, was such a special day for me too! So glad to be apart of that day! They have sure grown up to awesome little kids!
Continuing to say prayers for your mom, you, your baby and your family!!

Amanda said...

I have been waiting for this post! I have been checking blogger everyday waiting (that's not psycho or anything!)

So glad to hear that you are feeling better. You are such a strong momma and a wonderful mother to your kids. You will be just fine managing everything this summer.

You are a wonderful daughter too. You are so helpful with Isaac and supportive to your mom. You are so committed to your family--- I think that is inspiring.

And I will totally help you can this summer...leave the green beans to me:)

Lisa said...

Sendings congratulations, hugs, excitement, empathy (yes, empathy) and most of all prayers your way. So much news. So glad your mom is doing well. I think your thoughts are honest & fair - sickness can be so, so hard for the people who aren't sick too. Who do the caring.

Happy birthday to your twins, and best wishes for a happy & healthy pregnancy. A summer b-day, just like mine. :-)

Unknown said...

The realness of this post is what touched me so deeply! Thank you for sharing the real you!

Kirsten said...

I love this. Not because I love all that you have had to go through the past few weeks, but because it is real and honest and totally understandable.

Caring for and worrying about our loved ones is hard and overwhelming. It doesn't mean we love them any less, it is just hard. We are discovering that with my mother-in-law. We can totally relate to your feelings. I am so glad that your mom is doing well and that she doesn't have to look forward to lots of grueling chemo. Praise the Lord!

And excited for you and your new little one! Sounds like there will be several of us attempting to garden with either growing bellies or babies in tow. :) Hooray that you are feeling better - it is such a blessing when that begins to ease and you start to feel like a normal person again!

Elizabeth said...

She's BAAAAAAAAACK!

So good to find a post from you (actually two!) waiting for me to read this morning. Nice start to my day.

You have been through a lot these past months. I am so thankful that REALLY everything is now okay and you are coming out of that season.

Prayers are continuing that this next season coming will be full of joy and anticipation for you, your husband, your preschoolers, and your precious baby to arrive!

Also - I want the details on Pollyanna. I would love to come see you in it! How wonderful you are having that experience!