January 31, 2012

Best of 2011

So, I've been meaning to finish this end-of-year project for awhile now. But it was really just too daunting. How am I supposed to pick my top ten favorite photos from 2011? Some pictures I like for their photographic qualities. Some I like for their emotional resonance. Some I like for their true capture of life.

So I thought about just posting my top 10 faves of pictures I had never posted here.

I thought about picking my top 10 faves of each of my kids.

I thought about doing a tribute to feet (you'll get it when you see the photos below).

I thought about posting 10 photos that corresponded to my 10 favorite blog posts of last year.

And now since it's the last day of January, I just did it. I picked the photos that struck a certain chord with me and just went with it. If I had done this yesterday or if I were to do this again tomorrow, I'm sure a lot of these photos would be different. But it is what it is.

So, here they are, in no particular order, and in no particular number (ahem, don't count them), my favorite photos of 2011. As always, these are SOOC because that's still how I roll.


One of the best photos I've ever taken with my old Sony point and shoot. I had just mastered that thing, and then my Jack-Jack broke it. I jimmy-rigged it with a tack and a piece of tape and shot with it for another 3 weeks. This photo was taken with all the jimmy-riggin.


I chose this photo despite the chipped toenail polish partly because someone requested it (you know who you are) and partly because I love the composition. I used to be such a "fill the frame" girl, but I've learned to really appreciate photos with empty space like this one. Another point and shoot favorite.


Not much to say here other than I love how he loves the water. I love how he can croutch down like that. I love his bony back. I love how happy he is at the lake. This is one more fave from the point and shoot. Some days I really miss that thing. It was limited in many ways, but I never struggled with focusing issues like I do with the Rebel, as much as I've come to love that thing.


Those fat little feet of his are out of focus. But I had to post this one anyway. I love how blonde his hair gets in the summer, I love how his cheeks hang like my dad's when he's relaxed, and I love how still and quiet he gets when he looks at books.

Basically all of these photos are from summer. Which makes me wonder if my main motivation behind picking these photos was for their photographic qualities or for the way they make me feel. But it's not worth wondering - the way these photos make me feel trumps everything else. My no-napping 3 1/2 year old would find a spot to curl up every day this past summer and take a nap all on his own. I love the light in this one and the composition and the depth of field.


We have 2 birch trees here, and I love them. I would love to have this photo on a large convas on my wall.


Again, not much to say other than I love how she loves to play at the beach. I love how happy she is at the lake. I love how she asked for braids almost every day this past summer, and I love how I finally perfected them.


Jack-Hammer has 2 pairs of boots like these - one set he got as a gift, the other as hand-me downs. He wore those boots as often as I let him - even on hot summer days. And he's always been my climber. I chose this photo for those reasons and the angle.


This one makes me ache for summer. Look at all that morning sunlight streaming through our east facing living room windows. The kids loved to play half-clothed in the living room in all that morning glory.....and I loved to photograph them. This one I picked for the light, the angle, and the way I managed to get his eye in focus.


I want to reach into this one and stroke her skinny little arm and kiss her perfect little lips. How did she get so pretty?  I chose this one because of Daddy and the pretty little girl and for the color and lines.


More country fair fun. I love this one for his cute face and all the circles. But shooting with a 50 mm prime lens can be exhausting.  I think the way I framed this one works, but I would have loved to not cut off his feet while still retaining the amount of the wheel I did.

Yet another point and shoot favorite. He caught his first fish this day. I love how his feet are always dirty.


I have to be honest. I may have chosen this one because of the huge success I had with my first circle braid. More summertime morning quiet fun in the living room. I love the light in this one and the two little legos at the top of the frame.


I needed at least one more of my little girl. Oddly enough I have more photos here of the boy than of her. And this one just stuck out to me from the past year. I love the focus on this one - something I took for granted with the point and shoot, and this is another favorite from the Sony.

This year did indeed end up being the year of the dslr for me. And I already have some specific photography goals for myself this year....and one I'm already making progress on.

Just think. Next year when I attempt to do this, I'll have 6 months worth of photos of our new baby to add to the mix.

6 comments:

Kirsten said...

these are lovely! i think the nap one is my favorite. i'll have to take some lessons from you - i love the depth of field on some of them, and the composition.

can't wait to see next year's pics! :)

p.s. i'll have to get some braiding tips from you, too, so i know what to do with our little girl's hair!

Lisa said...

So fun and beautiful! I am not much of a "feet person" but somehow you make them look lovely. Maybe I've said this before, but I love how your photos show the beauty of creation and ultimately give glory to the Creator. Can't wait to see some little baby photos a few months down the road. :-)

Kelly said...

ok so I wanted to pick a favorite...couldn't! These are all really good choices with great descriptions!! I love each of them for a different reason! You really have an eye for this photography stuff and master it! okay..I admit...I think I starred at Jack's eyes longer than any picture...the one with him playing on the floor with his tractor...stuns me! Please blow the tree or lake one up for decoration!!

Patricia said...

These pictures are incredible! I absolutely love your pictures!

Jess said...

The choosing truly is a horrid task, isn't it?

I think those first two are my favorite of all the photos you shared last year, but I also really like the one of Jack's boots. You are doing great with your WB settings sooc.

I've heard the 50 called many things, but "exhausting"? That's a new one.

Jess said...

Also... I love that you don't edit. Too many people become slaves to photoshop "actions" without understanding what these things do to their photos. Concentrating on the best sooc you can get without a bit of worry about editing = priceless. You are doing great!