August 29, 2011

Adventure #1 {Mini Road Trip}

We're going through a rather significant transition in our lives right now.  And the aspects of this transition leave me with two related things:

1. a need/desire to fill up a few days every week with a new adventure
2. an intense amount of motivation and determination

Last week found me packing up the kids, my mom, my little brother, a golf bag, 2 suit cases, a double jogging stroller, and about 47 other things in my vehicle to head "up north" for my little brother's golf tournament.

This two-day adventure brought all sorts of firsts for my tots: first night in a hotel, first meal in a sit down restaurant with no buffet, first golf tournament.

While lil' bro played in his golf tournament, the kids, my mom, and I explored the area.

We visited historic sites.



We cheered in the last few groups of golfers.







I chased Jack-Hammer around the entire property of the golf resort, and during our meal outside at the restaurant, I chased both kids who were chasing a frog under tables and around chairs. They actually caught the frog and then had to show it to the waitress and the people at the table next to us.  And after one dis-membered frog incident and three trips to the bathroom with Jack, I finally just took everybody back to our room.



Ava did what she does best, namely find things to collect.



And when the most boring thing in the world golf tournament was over (I did not get bitten with the golf bug like the rest of my family did), we found a little state park that thankfully had a nice beach. I am a tad lost without sand and water that you can actually play in (and by "play" I do not mean hitting a small white ball with a long chunk of metal).





And no trip is complete without ice cream. An adorable ice cream and candy shop with more ice cream flavors than I even knew existed was our final stop.











We had a lovely little visitor (who was only partially alive after I scraped him off the road).



Lest you think my idea of adventures is all golf resort and stuff, I would like to add that the adventures of this particular week also included freezing 100 cups of sweet corn, picking and freezing 24 cups of green beans, making and freezing 30 quarts of applesauce, and mowing half our yard with a zero turn lawn mower (which, in case you're wondering, is very much like driving a space ship. In fact, I am nearly certain I could shoot cylons with that thing if I could get past just how much turning I actually do with a "zero-turn.")

And now I simply must close this post in order to tend to the adventures of this week which really should be cleaning this house. Now wouldn't that be something?

6 comments:

Kelly said...

You make me laugh! I giggled this whole post! I love the ice cream pics and I am wondering if u got any?

I love all the red chairs all lined up and of course your mother! Love her!

Mini vacations are a great way to break up your week.

I am always wondering how your days at home are going with this big change!

Also, I am still majorly impressed with your motivation. And to mow? I think you make an awesome wife! Adam is very lucky! I know he thinks it too!

Amanda said...

I love all of the pics but the ice cream photos are my favorite!

You are doing great with this big change. And next week will be another change.

And by the way, I could not help but notice the Popina swimsuit...worn with shorts! I am so very impressed.

Unknown said...

Oh My what an adventure! Loved all your pictures, especially the ones of your daughter with the ice cream, too cute!

Elizabeth said...

Amazing pictures! I loved this post Cassie! I love seeing you in some of those pics too. It is so important that we capture ourselves in the moments once in awhile too!

Jan said...

I was waaaay behind on reading your blog posts, but ended up at your site this morning and read lots of them. How fun to "see" your life through your eyes and words. Keep writing!

Jess said...

Oh what a fun post! Love the shot of Jack riding on your back.

I can feel almost an Ashley-Anne-esque documentary feel to this post, in the pictures. And love seeing you in more pics, whether they're selfies or not! :)