August 15, 2011

The Invasion

It seems silly to post a KinderGardens post without pictures, but I'm gonna do it anyway. Life's a tad crazy, and I've been cutting out a little bit of the fluff in order to soak up the last of summer. Tonight, posting pictures is part of that fluff that's getting cut out. It would be really hard to capture what's going on out in my jungle garden anyway.

You see people, we're being invaded.

By squash vines..... buttercup, acorn, and butternut squash vines to be exact.

My tots and I planted the same amount we did last year in a larger area than last year, but the vines are insatiable. They're climbing up the hog panel fence, choking out the potatoes, and using the popcorn and Indian corn to reach skyward.

I like squash. My kids like squash. My husband will eat squash. I make quick breads out of squash. I make yeast breads out of squash. I make pies out of squash.  I make soup out of the stuff. I give it away to others.

But even with all those uses, I'm not sure how I will use all the squash that's out there.

So, it's just gonna be me and a pair of scissors fighting off the invasion.

Linking up to KinderGardens week 15.

5 comments:

Mama Bean said...

ooh I want to see pics of the monster squash! I am jealous of your vine invasion :) I am thinking the cartoon colouring on the leaves may be because of the dryness and heat we've had - did you have a lot of heat and no rain?

Jess said...

Who needs pictures when you describe it so well? Or, possibly I've stood there among the tangle wielding a pair of scissors too. Fight on warrior!

Kirsten said...

oh, i'll take some! my acorn squash was attacked by a squash borer, my zucchini was attacked by a squash bug (i think), and the rest are being attacked by cucumber beetles. poor me. :(

good luck with those scissors...in my experience, those vines can be quite determined. :)

Amanda said...

You perfectly described your invasion! I could not believe my eyes when I saw your vines climbing everything---your 12' tall corn (which is also crazy by the way) and the dog kennel. Crazy.

Unknown said...

Loved your description and it is good to cut out some of the fluff and a few vines if need be.