August 1, 2011

Adventures in Berryland

One of my memories from elementary school is the book Jamberry by Bruce Degen. We would read the book and listen to the book on tape and sing the song and dance to the song.  I'm not sure why my memories around that silly book are so strong, but I've still got my childhood copy of it upstairs in the little girl's bookshelf.

We've had lots of berries around here. Just this past week I picked up my 10 pound lug of blueberries, and as I was processing them, I found these forgotten in the freezer:


Strawberries from the fateful strawberry picking episode that I decided to freeze whole. The rest were either made into freezer jam or sliced, tossed with sugar, and frozen.

The blueberries were simply amazing this year, and it took everything I had to not just eat them all right away. I forced myself to freeze most of them,



and after making one truly delicious blueberry crisp, we've been chowing down on the rest.



There was one very special blueberry in particular. It was from my very own garden, from one of these plants to be exact. And it tasted as good as it looked.


That's what I spend a good portion of my summer doing, taking in all the season has to offer and freezing up little bits of it to save for the winter.



One Berry
Two Berry
Pick me a Blueberry...

...Mountains and fountains rain down on me.
Buried in berries.
What a Jam Jamboree!

{excerpt from Jamberry}


Photobucket

 
For more fruitiness, go HERE

5 comments:

Amanda said...

I am always happy to welcome the berry season and sad to see it go!

Love the photos of the berries!

Unknown said...

I've been doing the exact same thing around here! Keeps me busy!

Mama Bean said...

Thanks for commenting at my KinderGARDENs post :) I am jealous of your berries! I love how you captured the frostiness of the strawberries

Lisa said...

Good for you! Come December and January you will be grateful you didn't cave in to the urge to let you & the family eat them all right away. :)

Jess said...

Wow. Gorgeous photos Cassie. Beautiful use of light on the first two, especially.