August 27, 2011

Let's Go Carpe This Diem

I was chopping red cabbage and cucumbers fresh from the garden when he lingered in the kitchen that evening.


Supper was a bit late that night (if there is such a thing as a *late* supper at our house with our ever-fluid routine) because I was perched on top of the kitchen table taking pictures of my kids painting with water colors for the first time in the glow of the evening.





"You have time for a shower before supper if you like," I told him, the words sounding funny to me. A shower marks the end of the husband's day, and rarely does his day end before supper.





"I know," he replied. "Just pondering the fact that today was my last day with my customers, my last day on the route."

"I've been thinking the same thing all day," came my words. I had already been down my valley of doubts and was ready to move on. "Any thoughts, regrets, laments?"

"Nope," he stated even before the last syllable of my question left my lips. "Just movin' forward."





And that's what we'll do. We'll move forward. We'll learn from all our past journeys. We'll commit to learn from this journey. We'll make goals. We'll set our standards high and our expectations low.



And if you'll excuse us, we've got some diem to carpe.


{I hope all you Latin enthusiasts will forgive my butchering of the aforementioned and cliched Latin phrase.}

5 comments:

Alissa said...

Cute photos… I always forget how fun painting with water colors is! I might have to bust ours out this week! Your babies are growing up so fast!

Amanda said...

Love this post! I am so happy for you guys---I feel like your life is changing in a positive direction.

Love love love the photos of you kids. Watercoloring on Matco Tool paper...unintentionally symbolic or was it intentional?

Can't wait for Tuesday!

Kelly said...

Your pictures are fun to look at! I appreciate all the hard work that goes into them! The lighting is awesome!! It is amazing your 3 yrs olds will sit and paint! Did they wonder why you were staning on the table? or the chair? Rules of composition are PERFECT! :)

Jess said...

You have a few less photos of Jack-Jack than your sweet girl here. Does that correspond to how long each one sat and painted? ;)

Lisa @ Cow Spots and Tales said...

God's blessings to you in this new direction you're heading! Change can be hard, but I'm sure you guys are following God's plans for you and all will be well. Love the photos. :)